Foal head part 2

Here I will show you everything that happened after the sculpting stage! 

image.jpg

Airbrushing! I find an airbrush gives much nicer gradients for this type of thing than can regular painting. I went over the whole thing in white (apart from eye and nose) and then sprayed various layers of paint around the eye and nose. 

image.jpg

Using an awesome glue called fabri-tac I stuck mohair into this Mohawk. Usually I lay it horizontally going backward but I fancied the sort of stick-up mane that foals have for this. 

 

image.jpg

Now this one is a little complex. I used a weird method called fur transfer. In a nutshell I got mohair fabric, stuck tape on the surface, turned it over and using an electric clipper shaved off the fabric backing. I then coated the back with layers of a glue called Prosaide from an airbrush. When that was dried it formed a new skin and I removed the tape. Prosaide is a contact adhesive so I brushed the neck with it and allowed both to dry fully, then I attached it really carefully.

 

image.jpg

I did the same for the fluffy cheeks. 

 

image.jpg

Prosaide is what I used from here on, mohair in the ears. 

 

image.jpg

I cut short mohair furs and attached them by pressing them in. The entire head is tacky with Prosaide and the fur sticks well with enough layers of it. 

 

image.jpg

Going down the face I work from back to front as that is how the hair grain is going on this. You need to always follow the grain forward.  For the area around the eyes and muzzle I attach rayon flocking which I pre-dyed to match the fur.

 

image.jpg

Lashes!! This is a really hard step. I apply Prosaide inside the eye and once dry press in deer hairs using a tool. I then applied optically-clear resin (smooth-on Crystal Clear 200) making sure I go over the base of the hairs. This locks them there for all eternity.

 

image.jpg

And baby you are done! I know this seemed shorter than the sculpting stage but in reality it is a lot more exacting, and the whole time you are covered in infuriating tacky glue and hairs. I also added a layer of the resin to the horn and nose for shine.